Musings on music, old, new, popular and obscure. Post punk, metal, hip-hop, funk, and rock in general. A music fan with a desire to lose boundaries on what should and should not be listened to writes about experience in music from a listener's perspective, hopefully unhindered by prior expectation.

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Tiny Music ...Songs from Various Record Shops I -- Tender Prey

As I've only created an increased avalanche of incoming music that I am happily making my way through, I'm going to continue with the compressed formatting of explanation for the purchases I showed off previously to explain my relative quietness, moving on ahead through the alphabet. I left off before with The Byrds' pre-Byrds demos known as the "preflyte" sessions--though, of course, this isn't a completely fair name. They weren't the Byrds yet, but they were the Jet Set, which is still about flying--but nevermind that.

This will take us from my first "classic" period Bad Seeds album through to the far more obscure Kno album Death Is Silent, as seen (somewhat blurrily, for which I apologize, but I do not have the discs handy to replicate and touch up the photo!) below:
This was a string of peculiar trips to various stores, mostly an FYE, a few locals and one chain used store, so it's going to continue as a truly weird selection.

To avoid complete overload, I'll go through an album a day here, hence the reference in the title to someone-or-other's weird, off-kilter third album.
First up, we have Tender Prey, the fifth post-Birthday Party (the band, not an actual party) album from Nick Cave with backing band The Bad Seeds. This is from the slew of CD+DVD reissues of the Bad Seeds' work released over the past decade that currently covers their first album, From Her to Eternity through their eleventh, No More Shall We Part. I myself bought Grinderman on the recommendation of one of my recurring characters, the infamous Gerald, who directed me to the song "No Pussy Blues" and told me to wait for it to "kick in--no, no, later it really kicks in." Grinderman was a sideproject for Cave as well as Bad Seeds Warren Ellis (not to be confused, as I did, with the comic writer, but instead an Australian multi-instrumentalist), Martyn P. Casey and Jim Sclavunos, though they all joined the Seeds after this album. I followed this up with the next Seeds album, Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! and, following my enjoyment thereof and confirming via my pre-smartphone mobile AllMusic/Wikipedia/Amazon, Brian, picked up a rather smoked-in used copy of the 13th Seeds album, Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus (those linen boxes really hold the smell of smoke, for the record). 
I knew I still hadn't hit on anything close to what made Cave famous, though I'd caught him appearing with the Bad Seeds in Wim Wenders' Wings of Desire (the German movie, originally titled Der Himmel über Berlin, which actually means "The Heavens over Berlin," that was later remade--entirely--as the American movie City of Angels). It was after I finally picked up the Birthday Party's Junkyard that I decided to give in and grab an early Bad Seeds album, being this one. I haven't listened to it yet, so that's why you get all the background instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...